Wednesday, June 5, 2013

CIEE South Korea Scholarship Essay:

Here it is Seoulmates!:


         From this trip I plan to gain a deeper understanding of the relationship between North and South Korea, their culture and an affirmation of my desire to live and work in Korea. As a Hispanic-American, learning about other cultures is imperative to understand your own and also to develop a global attitude. To me, the way to peace in this world is understanding and respecting each other's beliefs and values. America is a nation of immigrants, so it is important for people to have some understanding of different cultures to alleviate prejudice which many groups, particularly Koreans do get in America. 
Upon my return, I plan to prepare for an independent study in Korean. This program would be an invaluable opportunity for me to experience the culture and beliefs that can't be read in textbooks, which are difficult to find by themselves. I will be creating blogs/videos highlighting different aspects of Korean culture and language to share with the world. Korea is not defined by "Gangnam Style" and this project would expose Americans to a country with a unique history and culture; one that is often overlooked in history books. I also plan to create a Korean language awareness program because I feel that a majority of Americans do not know much about Korea's language. I've learnt a small amount of it, and it is such a rich language that many would find enjoyable to learn if they knew more about it.
I plan to major in International Relations and Korean. I hope to get assigned to a UN office in Seoul so I can promote friendly relations between Americans and South Koreans and also mediate between North and South Korea. I believe that everyone in the world is interconnected, we are essentially one people, and it is my wish to share Korea's culture with the world and bridge the gap between America and South Korea. Together we can build relationships within our countries if the effort is given.


No comments:

Post a Comment